- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled, halved lengthways, chopped
- 4 middle bacon rashers, trimmed, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, leaves reserved, stalks chopped
- 400g can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 large zucchini, halved lengthways, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chicken stock powder
- 1/2 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot, bacon and celery stalk. Cook for 10 minutes or until onion has softened.
- Add tomato, zucchini, stock powder and 6 cups cold water.
- Bring to the boil. Add barley. Reduce heat to low.
- Simmer, partially covered, for 40 minutes or until barley is tender.
- Chop reserved celery leaves. Stir into soup. Serve.