- 320g (about half a loaf) sliced Traditional Italian Pane di Case
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 vine-ripened tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 continental cucumber, peeled at 1cm intervals, roughly chopped
- 1 yellow capsicum, deseeded, chopped
- 1 celery stick, trimmed, sliced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- Torn fresh basil leaves, to serve
- Tear the sliced bread into rough pieces about 3-5cm in size. Heat half the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add half of the bread.
- Cook, tossing occasionally, for 4 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a large bowl. Repeat with the remaining olive oil and bread.
- Add the tomatoes, cucumber, capsicum, celery and red onion. Combine the extra virgin olive oil, red wine vinegar and garlic. Add to the salad. Season with salt and pepper.
- Use clean hands to toss until well combined. Set aside for 30 minutes to allow the bread to soak slightly. Scatter with torn basil leaves to serve.