- 2 large slices (about 70g) day-old crusty bread, crusts removed, torn
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1kg truss tomatoes, stems removed, coarsely chopped
- 2 shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon raw or caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Finely chopped cucumber, to serve
- Combine the bread and vinegar in a bowl. Set aside for 10 minutes to soak.
- Process the bread mixture, tomato, shallot, garlic and sugar in a food processor for 2 minutes. Add the oil and process until well combined. Strain through a fine sieve, pressing down with the back of a spoon to extract the liquid, into an airtight container.
- Discard the pulp. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Cover and place in the fridge for 4 hours or until well chilled.
- Pour the soup evenly among ten 60ml (1/4-cup) capacity serving glasses. Top with cucumber.