- 60g butter, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 (1kg) brown onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 4 cups Campbell’s Real Stock Beef
For Cheesy bread
- 12 baguette bread slices, each 1.5cm thick
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese
- Heat butter and oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium-low heat until sizzling.
- Add onions and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, uncovered, stirring often, for 45 to 50 minutes or until onions are very soft.
- Stir in sugar and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until onions caramelise.
- Add flour to saucepan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add stock and 2 cups water. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes to allow flavours to combine.
- Make cheesy bread Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray both sides of bread with oil. Rub both sides of bread with garlic.
- Arrange bread on 2 baking trays. Bake, turning once, for 10 to 12 minutes or until bread is light golden.
- Sprinkle cheese over 1 side of bread. Return to oven for 3 to 4 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with cheesy bread, season with pepper and serve.