- 500g Boneless chicken / chicken thigh / chicken breast – skinless and off the bone
- 2 tsp ginger paste
- 2 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup thick drained yoghurt
- 1 tsp red chilli powder /deghi mirch
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 3 tbsp oil
- A pinch of tandoori colour (optional)
- A pinch of chat masala (optional)
- Wash and pat-dry the chicken. Press with a kitchen towel. Rub the chicken pieces with garlic, ginger paste, salt, chilli powder, garam masala, lemon juice and oil. Leave aside for an hour.
- Add beaten yogurt and tandoori colour, chat masala (optional). Refrigerate for 6 to 8 hours to marinate the chicken tikka.
- Preheat the barbecue or grill and put the chicken pieces on the skewers. Baste with the marinade and cook under the grill or keep the skewers on a greased wire mesh of the barbecue.
- Turn them 2-3 times for even browning. Brush with oil, remove from skewer when they are cooked. Sprinkle chat masala.
- Serve hot with onion and chilli salad and mint chutney.